Kuwait restricts expat children’s residency amid growing calls to reduce foreigners

August 2, 2020
finance & economy

KUWAIT CITY — The transfer of residency permits of children of expatriates to their mothers has been halted in Kuwait as the country seeks to reduce the expatriate population, local media reported.

There have been growing calls in Kuwait to address the issue of “demographic imbalance” with the foreigners making up 70 percent of the current population while citizens just account for the remaining 30 percent.

The current move was taken by Kuwait’s General Directorate of Residency as it banned such transfer in case of the father’s final exit from Kuwait, the expiry of his residency permit or his death, the report said citing sources.

Relevant instructions have been passed on to heads of the directorate’s affiliates in Kuwait’s six governorates, according to the report.

However, exceptions have been made for three categories of workers: Female teachers employed by the Education Ministry, female health care workers at the Health Ministry and women doctors working at the General Directorate of Criminal Evidence. The women working in the exempted sectors have the right to act as sponsors of their children.

“The decision is part of arrangements to regulate foreigners’ stay in the country and aims at changing the population structure,” the report said quoting a source.

Likewise, children of expatriates, allowed to enter Kuwait on visit visas before the coronavirus crisis, will no longer be allowed to be transferred as residents to their fathers’ residency permits, the report added.


Top News

finance & economy

AstraZeneca Donates a Fully Equipped Amb...
September 30, 2020
Wenatchee Valley College Evaluates IT En...
September 30, 2020
Velodyne Lidar, Inc. and Graf Industrial...
September 30, 2020